Tatmeen means assurance in Arabic, which is exactly what we aim for with this nation-wide programme. The Ministry of Health and Prevention, in partnership with EVOTEQ, is establishing the platform to enable traceability of pharmaceuticals using serialisation that goes in line with the GS1 standard. This will help track counterfeits, enable recalls/expired drugs, and enhance visibility across the pharmaceutical chain from manufacturer to end user.
Benefits of Tatmeen
- Protect pharmaceutical brands and their owners.
- Minimise the number of counterfeit and illegal and substandard medication in circulation. Increase the ability to recall drugs from every location at a moment’s notice. Eliminate cross border imports of unauthorised medicine entering the supply chain.
- Completely control of near-expired pharmaceuticals and keep them away from consumers, preventing harm.
- Forecast demand and ensure that there is ample authorised supply of the medicines and pharmaceutical products that are in high demand, avoiding shortages; while enhancing the ability to react to emergency requirements and being able to move drugs from one location to another faster.
- Ensure that the investments made by companies in the development of drugs and their intellectual property are protected within the UAE, setting the UAE as a place where a new generation of medicines can be introduced with safety by pharmaceutical companies and aiding patients with leading healthcare solutions for better health.
Manufacturers: Manufacturers will affix a GS1 barcode to the products they make. After receiving the import licenses from the Ministry of health, the product is shipped.
Logistics providers: Logistics providers can scan the medications to ensure the timely supply of the correct products to the right customers.
Customs officials: Customs officials can verify the products & get detailed information with a simple scan when supplies enter the country.
Distributors & wholesalers: Distributors & wholesalers that stock these products have the same capability to ensure that their inventory is safe for distribution.
Clinical providers: Clinical providers can scan the supplies to verify safety, expiry dates, & authenticity before treating patients.
Patients: Patients now have the power to check the safety & authenticity of the medicine they buy.
What Tatmeen Hopes to Achieve
Improve visibility, security, safety and reliability of the pharmaceutical supply chain, reducing counterfeits and sub-standard medicines.
Give government-approved entities visibility of all products, movements, approvals and supply levels
Provide real-time data and reports of pharmaceutical movements, non-authorised/expired drugs and to recall medicines, along with stock levels and forecasting trends.
Position the UAE as a world leader in pharmaceutical serialisation and supply chain innovation.
Meet GS1 global serialisation standards and provide interoperability with other governments.
What does Tatmeen do for the industry, clinicians and the general public?
- Tatmeen’s track and trace system closely monitors medicines manufactured in the UAE and internationally across the supply chain. From the manufacturer to the patients, we give people (professionals and members of the public) the power to authenticate medicines at every step.
- Tatmeen will contribute to a more visible medical supply chain, making people feel safer and more informed.
How does Tatmeen make me safe as a member of the community?
With a simple touch, people can now save lives. Using our digital platform, all they must do is scan the dedicated GS1 data matrix barcode to check, control and learn about what they are supplying, prescribing, or swallowing.
Facts & Fifgures
Almost 85.2% of all pharmaceutical recalls are drug-related, while 14.8% are medical device recalls.
Over time, WHO estimates that more than 50% of online drugs will be counterfeit.
In first world countries, it is reported that 21% of pharmacies experience a shortage of medicines every day.
The World Customs Organization (WCO) has placed the value of counterfeit medicines at USD 200 billion a year, globally.
- Queries related to Business processes, the Tatmeen Platform, or program timelines will be directed to the Tatmeen programme team. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Queries tied to Serialization or BrandSync will be sent to GS1 and will be answered within 4 business days. email@example.com